Time shifting is using technology to alter the time when we perform a task. The process of recording and storing data for later viewing, listening, or reading is time shifting. Time shifting is a great efficiency tool. Most of us already time shift when we record a TV show to watch at another time. Leveraging opportunities in your work for time shifting often requires innovation, creativity and challenging the status quo. Certain forces such as globalization are requiring time shifting. If applied effectively time shifting reduces costs, improves service, improves productivity, enhances flexibility and improves work life. Considering these examples.
- Podcasts provide a great means of time shifting by listening or viewing content while exercising, traveling or driving. Many radio programs are available in a Podcast. Newspapers are distributing news in audio form.
- Many companies offer webinars as an on-demand educational tool allowing you to set aside time for education based on your schedule.
- E-mail and voice mail are forms of time shifting where messages or data are read, heard, or viewed by the recipient at a later time. Technology makes it easier to compartmentalize communications and tasks on a more effective schedule.
- Video conferencing is a form of time shifting when you avoid travel for a meeting or conference.
- Audio books, similar to Podcasts, provide an opportunity to listen while exercising, traveling or driving. Audible is a excellent source for audio books.
- Use of a mobile device for reading email or browsing the web is good for filling gaps in your schedule such as waiting for appointments. For example, if I am waiting for a doctor appointment, with my SmartPhone I read my Google Reader feeds to get caught up on the news.
- Anytime you automate a process this is a form of time shifting. Automatic bill payment is an example. Nearly all my personal bills are paid electronically and automatically. Another example are Outlook rules.
- Using meeting time more effectively with a notebook computer by taking notes and assigning tasks during the meeting shifts the follow up into the meeting time. Ready access to information via the notebook computer reduces follow up items.